The Agonist Forum

To Discuss the femme metal band The Agonist.

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

INTERVIEW with ALISSA GLUZ-WHITE of THE AGONIST (Century Media Records)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
And2DieIsEasy
The Boss
The Boss

Female Number of posts : 110
Job/hobbies : That Wasn't Random At All
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: INTERVIEW with ALISSA GLUZ-WHITE of THE AGONIST (Century Media Records)   Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:45 pm

MUEN: ALISSA! HEY IT'S GREAT TO BE ABLE TO INTERVIEW YOU! YOUR VOCALS AND THE BAND'S MUSICAL PRESENCE IS AMAZING! THE FIRST TIME I HEARD YOUR VOICE, WAS ON "BUSINESS SUITS AND COMBAT BOOTS", AND I WAS SO IMPRESSED BY THE AMOUNT OF VOCAL ENERGY AND STRENGTH, AND THEN TO FIND OUT THAT YOU COULD ACTUALLY CARRY A NOTE AS WELL!! I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH YOUR VOICE ALONE... AND THEN THE MORE WE RESEARCHED THE BAND... WELL.. IT WAS A LOT MORE THAN WE HAD EXPECTED... BUT FIRST, HOW IS THE TOUR GOING? IT HAS TO BE EXHAUSTING, ESPECIALLY WITH THE AMOUNT OF ENERGY YOU AND THE BAND EXERT EVERY NIGHT! ALSO, WHICH SHOWS HAVE BEEN THE MOST EXCITING FOR YOU AT THIS STAGE OF THE TOUR?

ALISSA: Thank you! Tour has been extremely exhausting so far, but worth the challenge. And I think my bandmates would agree that the best shows so far have been Montreal (of course), Toronto, Quebec and Houston Texas!

MUEN: SO TELL US HOW THE SIGNING WITH CENTURY MEDIA HAPPENED, WHEN DID THEY FIRST NOTICE YOUR TALENTS AND WAS IT A LENGTHY PROCESS, OR DID IT HAPPEN QUICK FOR YOU?

ALISSA: Century Media took notice of us through overhearing some unmastered tracks when our sound engineer, Christian Donaldson was on tour with Cryptopsy. It was definitely a lengthy process, which is why the album, which we started recording in 2004, is only being released now!

MUEN: LOOKS LIKE YOU MADE "MTV'S HEADBANGER'S BALL!" HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT?

ALISSA: I think it�s great. Video is a great way to showcase a band�s talent. We are happy to reach people this way.

MUEN: WHERE WAS THE VIDEO SHOT FOR "BUSINESS SUITS AND COMBAT BOOTS?"

ALISSA: It was shot at The King's Park Lunatic Asylum, Long Island. Even more thrilling than shooting on the grounds of a 120 year-old condemned insane asylum notorious for the guinea-pig stages of post-WWII research in psychiatric disorders, was that King's Park was completely self-sufficient in terms of energy production. After throwing over some decrepit old filing cabinets over to use as risers for Danny and Chris, I felt a pleasant, however subtle, connection between lyric and location.

MUEN: WHY DID YOU CHANGE THE BANDS NAME FROM TEMPEST TO "THE AGONIST?" WAS IS BECAUSE OF LEGAL REASONS?

ALISSA: Yes, precisely. It was a preventative measure though� we didn�t have any legal problems and we didn�t want any!

MUEN: IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT THE BAND IS ALL ABOUT POLITICAL AWARENESS, WHEN DID YOU PERSONALLY FIRST START BECOMING SO POLITICALLY AWARE OF THE WORLD AROUND YOU, WAS THIS BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR MUSICAL INTEREST?

ALISSA: This was definitely before. I have been organizing fund-raisers, petitioning and speaking in City hall meetings since elementary school. I always wanted to do something to change the way animals and the planet are treated, specifically. And through music, I�ve realized that there are so many subjects of interest that so many people can relate to, I try to encourage people just to take action on an issue relevant to them, not necessarily the ones I focus on.

MUEN: DO YOU EVER FEEL LIKE THE BAND GETS MISUNDERSTOOD AT ALL? OR THAT IT TAKES AWHILE FOR MUSIC FANS TO REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT?

ALISSA: Probably. People in general have a tendency to immediately take offence towards any strong convictions. The general reaction, I think, for anyone who does not have the same opinions as I do, is to raise the defences and try to argue. I make a point of stating that I am NOT telling anyone what to do or think. People need to calm down and listen to the whole story before reacting. Musically as well, I think people have a hard time placing us, and therefore sometimes don�t fully appreciate us. This is all stuff that we hope will be resolved as we progress as a band.

WHAT CAUSE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO ADDRESS RIGHT NOW, IF YOU COULD ONLY ADDRESS ONE CAUSE... WHICH WOULD IT BE, ANIMAL RIGHTS, GLOBAL WARMING, THE WAR, OR WHAT?

ALISSA: That�s a very tough question! Whether it�s war between countries or the genocide committed against animals, these problems will take a lot of time and attention to get resolved. So, the question becomes; �What immediate action will bring any one of these problems substantially closer to resolution?� In that case, I would have to say that the war needs the most urgent attention. By ending the war and finding alternate means of resolving the conflicts between countries, half the battle is over. Animal rights are difficult to win, and progress is slow but steady, because many people disregard the fact that animals are sentient and think and feel, simply because they do not communicate via human language. There are so many injustices in the World, it is hard to say which should take precedence. I think it�s just important for people to do their part.

MUEN: WHAT ARE THE LINKS OR NAMES OF SOME OF THE ORGANIZATIONS YOU SUPPORT, IF YOU'D LIKE TO LIST ANY OF THEM, YOU CAN DO IT HERE...

ALISSA: Thanks! Firstly, I�d like to say that nothing in the World is perfect, and no organization is flawless. While I may support many campaigns by many organizations, I don�t necessarily agree with ALL of the politics of any of them. PETA is a very misunderstood organization. People think they are radical and almost anti-human, which isn�t true. They are simply what the name states: People for the Ethical treatment of Animals. Therefore, they may be against humans who mistreat animals, but that�s pretty much it. I am happy to support any organization that sincerely does take action in the right direction, and there are so many good ones� Peta, WWF, Greenpeace as for animal rights, RAINN against sexual assault, Doctors Without Borders for international medical relief, the list goes on.

MUEN: WHO WAS OR IS, YOUR BIGGEST INSPIRATIONS IN METAL?

ALISSA: I�m not sure� I was never extremely inspired by any one artist.

MUEN: WHAT OTHER MUSICAL INTERESTS DO YOU HAVE BESIDES METAL, ARE THERE OTHER ARTISTS THAT GAIN YOUR APPRECIATION IN OTHER GENRES?

ALISSA: Definitely. I am a huge fan of musical theatre, Freddie Mercury, No Doubt, Jem and the Holograms, etc. I pretty much love anyone that is passionate about their art� except I can do without country music!

MUEN: WHO PLAYS THE PIANO AT THE END OF "BUSINESS SUITS & COMBAT BOOTS?"

ALISSA: Haha� good question! That was actually a last minute decision created by Danny and Christian Donaldson� and really the piano is computer generated!

MUEN: HOW MANY TRACKS ARE ON "ONCE ONLY IMAGINED?"

ALISSA: A total of 12.

MUEN: DO YOU WRITE ALL THE LYRICS? AND HOW DOES THE AGONIST USUALLY CREATE A SONG, IS IT LYRICS FIRST, OR IS IT OFTEN TIMES A MUSICAL RIFF THAT DEVELOPS FIRST?

ALISSA: I am always writing lyrics. I do write them all. Danny and the boys come up with the instrumental of a song and then pass it over to me, where I write the vocals and apply the lyrics.

MUEN: WHERE WERE YOU BORN, AND ON WHAT DAY?

ALISSA: I was born in Montreal, and on July 31st, 1985.

MUEN: WHICH SONGS OFF OF "ONCE ONLY IMAGINED" MAKE YOU FEEL THE MOST "ACCOMPLISHED," AND ARE THOSE THE SAME SONGS GETTING MOST OF THE ATTENTION OR NO?

ALISSA: It depends on the fanbase, really. I personally always feel the most accomplished on the most recent compositions, so in this case, "Born Dead," "Buried Alive" and "Business Suits and Combat Boots." Some people adore those songs as well, and some people prefer the opposite, like "Void of Sympathy."

MUEN: I'M SURE THERE ARE THOSE WONDERING IF YOU ARE IN A RELATIONSHIP, AND/OR IF WITH ANOTHER BAND MEMBER, SO DO YOU WANT TO ANSWER THAT?

ALISSA: Wow.. with another band member?!! Gross!!! Never!! I would never mix business and pleasure! Basically every member of the Agonist is happily taken� but definitely not by one another!

MUEN: WHO PRODUCED AND MIXED "ONCE ONLY IMAGINED" AND ARE THERE SONGS ON THE ALBUM THAT WERE WRITTEN LONG BEFORE THE ALBUMS WAS EVEN THOUGHT OF?

ALISSA: Totally. The album began 3 years before it was released. Christian Donaldson recorded and co-produced the album with us� and we were really just recording a demo until Century Media picked it up!

MUEN: WHO DID THE ARTWORK FOR THE ALBUM COVER, AND CONCEPT OF "ONCE ONLY IMAGINED?"

ALISSA: Natalie Shau, an amazing artist, created the album art based on my lyrics and ideas.

MUEN: DID YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IN THE BAND HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH THE ALBUM DESIGN WITH REGARDS TO IDEAS OR CONCEPTS?

ALISSA: Yes, I was originally going to design the album cover myself, but I fell in love with Natalie�s work and decided she should do it instead. But I am always completely involved in any visual aspect of the band, and all the lyrics in the booklet are hand-written by me.

MUEN: IF YOU HAD IT TO DO OVER AGAIN, IS THERE ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR MUSIC CAREER YOU WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY?

ALISSA: I�ll have to let you know that one once I actually have a career in music!

MUEN: WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS AFTER THE TOUR IS OVER?

ALISSA: We are working hard on the next album and hope to have it out as of September of 2008! It will be much more representative of who we are as musicians. We are also working hard on the business aspect of the band, trying to get our name to the right people. The future looks promising though and we are all very excited!

MUEN: WHERE DOES THE BIGGEST SUPPORT SEEM TO BE COMING FROM, AND WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAY TO YOUR FANS?

ALISSA: There are fans basically strewn out throughout many different musical scenes� but I find the most loyal and devoted fans are those who really understand what we are about. No matter what age you are, what music scene you fit in with or what your beliefs are, if you understand who we are and what we are doing, we thank you greatly for your support and really appreciate your loyalty.

Interview by G. Cataline

Where are you now
♥️In Loving Memory Joyce R.♥️

http://chaliceoffemmemetal.forumotion.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theagonistforum.forumotions.net
LeavingYouForMe
Waiting Out The Winter
Waiting Out The Winter

Female Number of posts : 51
Job/hobbies : Student
Humor : Strange
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: INTERVIEW with ALISSA GLUZ-WHITE of THE AGONIST (Century Media Records)   Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:45 pm

I wish I could meet her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.midnattsol.com/forum
i_swim_with_toasters
Website Idiot
Website Idiot

Female Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: INTERVIEW with ALISSA GLUZ-WHITE of THE AGONIST (Century Media Records)   Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:09 am

>< Man! Not the guinea pigs!
lol I wish I could shoot a video in an insane assylum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: INTERVIEW with ALISSA GLUZ-WHITE of THE AGONIST (Century Media Records)   

Back to top Go down

INTERVIEW with ALISSA GLUZ-WHITE of THE AGONIST (Century Media Records)
Page 1 of 1